02 December 2011

Wishin' on a MIssion


Today I rhymed more of my great-grandfather Jesse N. Smith's journal.


Uncle John remarked that himself and his
Brothers had always desired that a son
Of the family should be an educated whiz.
For that purpose they sent their one
Youngest brother Stephen to be educated.
However, he died in early manhood.
He wished me to remain and be matriculated
In school here. I greatly desired, if I could,
To get an education, however, I preferred 
To go upon the mission. When I told him 
About my resolution, we each were conferred
A Patriarchal blessing. According to my whim
We proceeded on our journey southward 
With one horse team, one ox team an’ 
A few cows. At Payson which, we were assured, 
Was then the nearest settlement to Parowan.

No comments :

Post a Comment